Monday, November 7, 2011

For knitters old and new: What are the pros and cons of 'throw' method vs 'pick' method?

I learned knitting fifty years ago from an older woman in the neighborhood and she taught me to carry the yarn in my left hand and "pick" the yarn for each new stitch ... while I never achieved journeyman status, I considered myself pretty good at scarves, mittens, hats, afghans, a sweater now and then. In the last couple of years I find myself in a lobby full of knitters each week as our children are in dance cl ... all of these other knitters "throw" the yarn. I finally got inspired to find my old needles and resurrect the old skill. Three hats, 8 pairs of mittens and four scarves since September, now I'm ready for some serious knitting. Are there advantages to the 'throw' method that would pay me to retrain my hands and brain; are there any knitters out there who still 'pick'; are there any who use the two methods interchangeably, and if so, are there times when one method is better than the other?

No comments:

Post a Comment